Back to InCoB Tutorials
Workshop Materials (TBC)
FORMAT OF THE WORKSHOP
- Keynote speakers of the InCoB 2008 conference and the FAOBMB Symposium have been asked to name the Top 10 Challenges in Biology which are open to impact from progress in bioinformatics and computational and quantitative biology
- Bioinformatics experts are asked to identify ways in which these techniques can
be applied to solve these Top BioChallenges.
- All panelists are to discuss with the audience how these techniques and skills
could be taught to a new generation of biologists who will eventually populate the laboratories of biologists solving these problems.
- A list of minimal skill sets for the new biologist to be proficient in bioinformatics
and computational biology will be voted on.
- Approaches to pedagogical tools and techniques for teaching or imparting these new skills to undergraduates or graduate students will be listed.
- Terms of Reference for a team of TaskForce volunteers to draft white papers as the output of this workshop shall be discussed
TOPICS DISCUSSED IN THE WORKSHOP
- Top Biological Challenges which are open to impact from Bioinformatics and Computational and Quantitative Biology
- Key Bioinformatics and Computational Techniques for the New Biology
- Minimum skill set for the new biochemist and molecular biologist to cope with learning the bioinformatics and computational aspects of the New Biology
- New pedagogical tools and techniques for teaching Bioinformatics and Computational Biology to Biologists
- Terms of reference for an IUBMB/FAOBMB Education taskforce on curriculum
review for introduction of bioinformatics and computational topics in the biochemistry and molecular biology syllabus.
OUTPUT OF THE WORKSHOP
- Formation on a task force on bioinformatics education in Asia
- White paper on the New Bioinformatics, Computational Biology curriculum for life science teaching
- Proposal for implementing core bioinformatics and computational biology skills in Asian undergraduate biological curriculum
- Proposal for Procurement of Resources for supporting bioinformatics and computational biology teaching in Asia Universities